Here are some common issues you may encounter when importing Visio files into Lucidchart.
Invalid Visio File
If you attempt to import a file into Lucidchart that is not a valid Visio file, you will encounter an error message. Keep in mind that a non-Visio file can have a Visio file extension (e.g. .vsdx) if someone changed the extension manually.
To verify that a file is a valid Visio file, try opening the file in Visio. If it is not a Visio file or is corrupted, Visio will not be able to open it (and neither will Lucidchart).
You may get an error because you are uploading a file from a version of Visio that we do not support. Lucidchart currently supports the following Visio formats:
- VSDX files made with Microsoft Visio 2013 or later
- VSD files made with Microsoft Visio 2007 or later
- VDX files made with Microsoft Visio 2003 or later
If you have an older Visio file, try re-saving it with a more recent version of Microsoft Visio as a .vsdx file. VSDX files tend to import with greater fidelity than other Visio formats, and are easier for us to diagnose if there are any issues.
If your Visio file is not importing into Lucidchart, a good first step is to open the file in a recent version of Visio, re-save it as a .vsdx file, and import the new file into Lucidchart.
If the import process seems to be taking longer than a few minutes, your file might need to be modified because it's too large. Here are some steps you can take to reduce the size of your file:
- Save it as a .vsdx file. VSDX files are generally smaller than VDX files so they should have an easier time uploading.
- Compress images. Some failures are due to large images placed inside the diagram and can be resolved by optimizing the images to 72 dpi and ~1,000 pixels on the long side.
- Split the document. If your Visio file has many large images, try splitting your document into multiple files that have fewer pages and/or objects.
If all else fails...
If none of the aforementioned steps help, please fill out a contact support form and include the following information:
- A screenshot and description of the issue that is occurring
- The original Visio file that you are trying to import