After logging in to Lucidchart, you will find yourself on the documents page, which is the home page of your account. From this page you can create, organize, and share documents and folders, import Visio and other files, and access all parts of your account. Read on to learn all about the document page’s components and the actions that they can help you perform.
Click on the left to navigate to the home page of the Lucidchart website where you can learn all about the product and its wide range of use cases.
Click to return to your documents page if you navigate away from it.
Click to navigate to the integrations manager.
Hover over a tile in the manager to learn more about an integration or install it into your account. Integrations flagged by are only available to team and enterprise accounts, so clicking will take you to your account settings page where you can upgrade your account.
Have questions about Lucidchart? Click to go to the help center where you will find a pool of articles and videos about Lucidchart features, integrations, and settings.
Click to access your notifications feed.
- Click in the top right to navigate to your account settings panel where you can select what kinds notifications you want to receive. You can turn notifications on or off for the following events:
- A user comments on or edits a document that you are subscribed to
- A user shares a document or folder with you
- A user re-shares your document with another user
- In addition to the optional notifications listed above, you will always be alerted when a user has invited you to join a Lucidchart team.
- If you receive a notification that a document has been shared with you, you can open that document by clicking on the notification in your feed. You will not be able to access shared folders through this feed, but you can locate a shared folder by searching its name in your documents page.
- You will also get email notifications for events you are subscribed to.
- You can remove items from your notification feed at any time by clicking to the right of a notification.
Click on your email address on the right side of the header to access your account settings, log out of your account, or navigate to the wonderful brand management platform of Lucidpress.
- At the top of this panel is a tree containing any folders that you have created or that have been shared with you.
- A folder named "My Documents" will be at the top of the tree; this is the master folder of your account that contains all of the folders and documents that you have created. The rest of your folders will be in alphabetical order underneath.
- Folders shared with you, or that you have shared with other users, will be marked by .
- You can expand or collapse a folder's contents by toggling the triangle next to its name.
- To move a folder into another, drag and drop the folder label onto the other's.
- Right-click a folder label or click next to a folder’s name to access the following options:
New Folder: Create a subfolder within the folder.
New Document: Create a new document within the folder.
Share: Open the share dialog, where you can invite collaborators to edit, comment on, or view the documents within the folder.
Rename: Rename the folder.
Delete: Move the folder into the trash, where it will be deleted permanently after 7 days. You can also manually drag the folder into the trash.
Details: Open a dialog that displays the name, number of items, and owner of the folder.
- Underneath the folder tree you will see the following:
: This folder contains the documents that you or a collaborator have recently opened, organized from newest to oldest.
: This folder contains any documents that another user has shared with you, organized from newest to oldest.
: This folder contains any documents that you have moved to the trash within the past 7 days. Restore a document to its previous folder by right-clicking on its thumbnail and selecting “restore.”
: If you enter text into the search bar at the top right of your documents viewer, a list of matches will display. If you click out of the search results page, you return to it by clicking “search results.”
- Click on one of the thumbnails to open an editable copy of it.
- Click to create a document from scratch.
- Browse the Lucidchart template library by clicking .
- To hide the template banner, click in the top right corner and select “hide templates." You can re-enable it at any time in the preferences tab of your account settings.
Create documents and folders and import files
- Click to create a blank document.
- Click to open up the template library.
- Click to create a new folder.
- To import a file from a different platform and open it in Lucidchart, click and select a file type. After importing a Visio, Gliffy, Draw.io, or OmniGraffle file, a new document containing the diagram will appear in your documents viewer. After importing AWS architecture, a new document with the contents of your import will automatically open in the editor.
- Search your account for a document or folder using the search bar at the top right. The viewer will display any items with names that contain the the search bar's contents.
- If you click out of the search results display, you can re-enter it at any time by clicking at the bottom of the folder manager.
- By default, your documents and folders will appear as thumbnails sorted from newest to oldest, but you can adjust these settings with the icons to the right of the search bar.
- Click to shift from a thumbnail view to a list view.
- Click to pull up the following organization options:
- You can also toggle between A - Z and Z - A organization by clicking “Title” in list view, and between New - Old and Old - New by clicking “Modified.”
- Hover over a document or folder and click to open the sharing dialog. Alternatively, click and select "Share."
- In the dialog pops up, enter an email, username, or group name and click .
- The item will appear in the user(s)' folder.
- Items that have been shared with you, or that you have shared with other users, will be marked by .
Hover over a document or folder and click or to access the following options:
- Open: Open the document in the editor or view the folder's contents. You can also hover over the document or folder and click .
- Rename: Rename the document or folder.
- Copy: Create a copy of the document or folder.
- The copy will appear as the most recent item in your viewer.
- The original folder's contents will copied into the new folder; however, it may take a few minutes for the contents to load.
- Delete: Move the document to the trash, where it will be permanently removed after 7 days.
- Set reminder: Set a recurring reminder to update your document after a specified number of days.
- Get change notifications: Elect to receive notifications whenever an edit has been made to your document.
- Convert to Template: Convert your document to a template.
- In the dialog that opens, select a category for the template, enter a description, and click . You can modify these details by clicking and selecting "Edit Template Details."
- This option does not make a copy of your document, but rather converts your document to template form.
- You can find your templates in the "Personal" section of the template library.
- To create an editable copy of a template, hover over its thumbnail and select or click on its thumbnail in the template library.
- To edit a template, click and select "Edit Template."
- Details: Open a dialog that displays the name, size, creation date, and last modified date of the document.