After logging in to Lucidchart, you will find yourself on the document page, which is the home page of your account. From this page you can create, organize, and share documents and folders, import Visio and other files, and access all parts of your account. Read on to learn all about the document page’s components and the actions that they can help you perform.
Click on the left to navigate to the home page of the Lucidchart website where you can learn all about the product and its wide range of use cases.
Click to return to your document page if you navigate away from it.
Click to navigate to the integrations manager.
Hover over a tile in the manager to learn more about an integration or install it into your account. Integrations flagged by are only available to team and enterprise accounts, so clicking will take you to your account settings page where you can upgrade your account.
Have questions about Lucidchart? Click to go to the Help Center where you will find a pool of articles and videos about Lucidchart features, integrations, and settings.
Click to access your notifications feed. You must be on the document page to see this icon.
- Click in the top right to navigate to your account settings panel where you can select what kinds notifications you want to receive. You can turn notifications on or off for the following events:
- A user comments on a document to which you are subscribed
- A user makes edits to a document to which you are subscribed
- A user shares a document or folder with you
- In addition to the optional notifications listed above, you will always be alerted when a user has invited you to join a Lucidchart team.
- If you receive a notification that a document has been shared with you, you can open that document by clicking on the notification in your feed. You will not be able to access shared folders through this feed, but you can locate a shared folder by searching its name in your document page.
- You will also get email notifications for events you are subscribed to.
- You can remove items from your notification feed at any time by clicking to the right of a notification.
- To subscribe to a document, right click the document and select "Get Change Notifications."
Click on your email address on the right side of the header to access your account settings, log out of your account, or navigate to the wonderful brand management platform of Lucidpress.
The first folder group you will see is “My Documents.”
Under “My Documents” you will find all document folders you created. If you expand the “My Documents” group by clicking the grey triangle to the left of “My Documents,” you will find all the folders and subfolders you have created.
The second folder group is “Shared With Me.”
Under “Shared With Me” you will find all documents that have been shared with you. These are documents to which you have been granted access, but do not own.
Next, you will find folder groups for integrations and premium features.
Here, you will find a “Salesforce” folder if you have the Lucidchart Sales Solution enabled for your account. In the “Salesforce” folder, you will find all your Salesforce Account Maps and related documents. You can learn more about the Lucidchart Sales Solution here.
Additionally, if you are on an Enterprise account which uses Team Folders, you can access your Team Folders by clicking “Team Folders.” You can learn more about Team Folders here.
Lastly, you will find your Trash folder.
This folder contains any documents that you have deleted within the past 7 days. You can restore a document to your account and its previous folder by right-clicking on its thumbnail and selecting “restore.”
You can expand or collapse a folder's contents by toggling the triangle next to its name.
To move a folder into another folder, drag the folder you want to make a subfolder onto the main folder and drop it.
Right-click a folder label or click next to a folder’s name to access the following options:
- New Folder: Create a subfolder within the folder.
- New Document: Create a new document within the folder.
- Share: Open the share dialog, where you can invite collaborators to edit, comment on, or view the documents within the folder.
- Rename: Rename the folder.
- Delete: Move the folder into the trash, where it will be deleted permanently after 7 days. You can also manually drag the folder into the trash.
- Details: Open a dialog that displays the name, number of items, and owner of the folder.
Underneath your Folder Manager you will see the following:
- : Here you can find the documents that you or a collaborator have recently opened, organized from newest to oldest.
- : Here you can find any documents or folders you have starred. To add an item to your Starred Items, right-click on the item and select “Add to Starred.” To remove an item from your starred items, right-click on the item and select “Remove from Starred.”
- : Here you can enter text into the search bar at the top right of your document viewer, and then a list of matches will display. If you click out of the search results page, you return to it by clicking “search results.”
- Click on one of the thumbnails to open an editable copy of it.
- Click to create a document from scratch.
- Browse the Lucidchart template library by clicking .
- To hide the template banner, click in the top right corner and select “hide templates." You can re-enable it at any time in the preferences tab of your account settings.
Create documents and folders and import files
- Click to create a blank document.
- Click to open up the template library.
- Click to create a new folder.
- To import a file from a different platform and open it in Lucidchart, click and select a file type. After importing a Visio, Gliffy, Draw.io, or OmniGraffle file, a new document containing the diagram will appear in your document viewer. After importing AWS architecture, a new document with the contents of your import will automatically open in the editor.
- Search your account for a document or folder using the search bar at the top right. The viewer will display any items with names that contain the the search bar's contents.
- If you click out of the search results display, you can re-enter it at any time by clicking at the bottom of the folder manager.
- By default, your documents and folders will appear as thumbnails sorted from newest to oldest, but you can adjust these settings with the icons to the right of the search bar.
- Click to shift from a thumbnail view to a list view.
- Click to pull up the following organization options:
- You can also toggle between A - Z and Z - A organization by clicking “Title” in list view, and between New - Old and Old - New by clicking “Modified.”
- Hover over a document or folder and click to open the sharing dialog. Alternatively, click and select "Share."
- In the dialog pops up, enter an email, username, or group name and click .
- The item will appear in the user(s)' folder.
- Items that have been shared with you, or that you have shared with other users, will be marked by .
Hover over a document or folder and click or to access the following options:
- Open: Open the document in the editor or view the folder's contents. You can also hover over the document or folder and click .
- Rename: Rename the document or folder.
- Copy: Create a copy of the document or folder.
- The copy will appear as the most recent item in your viewer.
- The original folder's contents will copied into the new folder; however, it may take a few minutes for the contents to load.
- Delete: Move the document to the trash, where it will be permanently removed after 7 days.
- Manage Attributes: Add attributes to your document, or edit or remove existing ones.
- Assign Status: Give a status to your document, or edit or remove the existing one.
- Share: Invite collaborators to edit, comment, or view your document or folder.
- Set reminder: Set a recurring reminder to update your document after a specified number of days.
- Get change notifications: Elect to receive notifications whenever an edit has been made to your document.
- Convert to Template: Convert your document to a template.
- In the dialog that opens, select a category for the template, enter a description, and click . You can modify these details by clicking and selecting "Edit Template Details."
- This option does not make a copy of your document, but rather converts your document to template form.
- You can find your templates in the "Personal" section of the template library.
- To create an editable copy of a template, hover over its thumbnail and select or click on its thumbnail in the template library.
- To edit a template, click and select "Edit Template."
- Details: Open a dialog that displays the name, size, creation date, last modified date, and folder location of the document. Click the folder name to navigate to that folder.
With the location filter, you can narrow down your search to a particular folder location. Select “everywhere” to search your entire account; select “my documents” or “shared with me” to narrow your search based on document ownership, and select “current folder” to limit your search to the folder that is currently open in your document page.
With the “type” filter, you can specify the file type (folder or document) that you are searching for.
If you are on an enterprise account, you will see a list of search options based on the attributes configured by your team admin. Fill out any of these categories to filter your search based on team-wide criteria. Regardless of your account type, you can search for a document or folder based on the custom tags that you or another user have attached to it.