The Timeline shape library allows you to easily create timelines to show past events or future plans. Use them for project management, school projects, or presentations.
To access the shape library:
- Press "M" on your keyboard or click "Shapes" on the top left side of your toolbox to open the "Shapes" section of the Workspace Manager.
- Check the box next to "Timeline." The shape library will appear in your toolbox.
With the shape library pinned to your Toolbox, it’s easy to drag and drop elements of the timeline onto the canvas.
These are the bases of your timeline. When you drag one of these shapes onto the canvas, you can set the start and finish dates of your timeline, specify date formatting, and choose the length of time markers (seconds, days, years, etc.).
Milestone: This marker allows you to record a significant event. It will snap to position when you change its date in the Advanced Shape Menu or when you place it into position on the timeline.
Interval: This shape allows you to show events that span over a period of time. Drag the interval onto your timeline block and then use the Advanced Shape Menu to enter start and end dates or change the length of the shape on the timeline until it reflects the correct timespan.
Markers divide your timeline into regular intervals. They may have the value of seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, quarters, or years. To mark your timeline using seconds, minutes, or hours, the total time interval of your timeline must be relatively small. If those options are not available to you, try setting the start and end times of your timeline a day, hour, or minute apart.
Labels write the day and time below each marker on your timeline. Use the Labels Format drop-down menu to choose how your labels are written. You may also choose to turn labels on and off.
To set or change the start and end dates for a timeline block or interval:
- Click on the timeline block or interval shape. The Advanced Shape Menu will drop down at the top of the editor.
- A start time or date may never be later than a finish time or date, so change your finish time and date first. Click on the date or time listed above the word “Finish.” Use the dropdown menu to select your finish date and time.
- Repeat step two to set a start date and time.
Stacking timelines is useful when you need to show multiple projects of teams working at the same time.
To stack two or more timelines:
- Drag a timeline onto the canvas. Set the start date and finish date, and choose your desired time marker.
- Copy and paste your formatted timeline shape until you have the desired number of timelines. This step is important because it ensures that all of your timelines have the same start and finish dates and time markers. If these things are not the same, it will be impossible to format interval blocks correctly.
- Turn the labels off on all of your timeline shapes except for one.
- With the labeled timeline on the bottom, stack your timelines on top of each other. To hide the markers on a non-labeled timeline, select the timeline block and click Arrange > Send Item Backward.
- You may choose to give each layer of your timeline a name using text boxes drawn to the side of your timeline.
- Drag and drop time intervals onto each layer of your timeline and format them as normal.