In addition to providing a variety of pre-made shape libraries, Lucidchart makes it easy for you to create your own custom shape libraries with imported and custom shapes.
Please note that some shape libraries, including mind maps, UI mockups, and wireframes, are only available to Pro, Team, and Enterprise accounts. To upgrade your account, check out our pricing page or contact our sales team.
You can access your shape libraries in the Shape Manager, which you can open by pressing "M" on your keyboard or clicking "Shapes" on the top left side of your toolbox.
Why do different shapes show up in different documents?
A few basic shape libraries are automatically enabled in every document. Additionally, documents created from templates will also contain any shape libraries with shapes that the template contains; for instance, the Entity Relationship shape library will automatically display in a document created from an ERD template.
How can I add more shape libraries to my document?
You can add shape libraries to your document with by checking the boxes next to their names in the Shape Manager. Click the triangle next to a library's name to expand a list of its sub-libraries.
Where can I find a shape library that a teammate has shared with me?
To access shared team libraries, open the Shape Manager and click the triangle next to "Shared With Me" in the top left corner. A list of all shared team libraries will expand.
Can I import Gifs to Lucidchart?
No, it is not currently possible to import Gifs into Lucidchart.
To create a new custom shape library, open the Shape Manager and click the + next to "My Libraries." Give your library a name by clicking "New Library" at the top and typing over the highlighted text. Check the box next to the library's name in the library list to add it to your document.
Manage Your Libraries
To view a list of all shape libraries that you have created, click the triangle next to "My Libraries' in the top left of the Shape Manager. Click a library's name to view its contents and manage it. From this view, you can do the following:
- Rename your library by clicking on its name at the top of the viewer and type a new name in its place.
- Delete your library by clicking the trash can in the top right of the viewer.
- Share your library with teammates by toggling the "Share" switch at the top right of the viewer.
Search for Shapes, Icons, and Images
To perform a keyword search in Lucidchart, Bing, or Iconfinder, click the magnifying glass icon at the top right of the toolbox and select "Shapes," "Images," or "Icons." Enter a keyword into the search bar, click Go, and browse the results. Once you find an item you want to use, you can drag it directly onto your canvas.
Import Images You can import a PDF, PNG, or JPEG image file into Lucidchart by dragging or copying and pasting it directly onto your canvas or by clicking the image icon at the top of your toolbox and selecting "Image."
Import SVGs and Visio Stencils
If you cannot find the shape or image you are looking for, you can bring your own shapes into Lucidchart by importing SVGs and Visio stencil files (.vss, .vssx, and .vsx) to custom shape libraries.
Note: SVG and Visio stencil import are premium features offered to Professional, Team, and Enterprise accounts. To upgrade your account, check out our pricing page or feel free to contact our sales team.
To import an SVG or Visio stencil file, follow these steps:
- Open the shape manager by clicking the "Shapes" button in the top left corner of the shapes panel or by pressing "M" on your keyboard.
- Select "Add to Existing Library" or "Add to New Library" to determine where your imported file will be saved. If you select "Add to New Library" be sure to specify a name for the library on the import page.
- Click “Choose File” and select the SVG or Visio stencil file(s) you wish to upload from your computer.
- Click “Upload” and wait for the file to import. Please note that files larger than 1 MB can take longer than one minute. To add your new library to your document's shape panel, click the checkbox next to the library's name. Your new shape library will be available in the Shapes Panel. To see the icons image and text in the Shapes Panel click "View" menu button > "Shapes Panel" > and select "Icons and Text."
To insert a YouTube or Vimeo video into your diagram, follow these steps:
- Open the Shape Library Manager by clicking “+ Shapes” in the Toolbox or by pressing the “M” key.
- Drag the video shape to the canvas. When you drop the shape, a dialog will appear asking you to enter a YouTube or Vimeo URL.
- Add a YouTube or Vimeo link to embed your video.
- Right-click on the shape and select "Add to Custom Shape Library."
- Choose the destination shape library from the list.
- Name the shape and click "Done."
- Open the Shape Manager and navigate to the library you wish to share by clicking on its name in the "My Libraries" list.
- Toggle the "Share" switch in the top right corner of the viewer. The library will appear in the "Shared with Me" section of your teammates' Shape Managers.