Our free add-ons for Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Gmail allow you to insert your Lucidchart diagrams directly into your documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and email correspondences. Reach the instructions below to learn how to install and use these integrations.
Note: If you want to integrate Lucidchart with multiple Google apps, you’ll need to follow this process for each one.
- Visit the store listing for the Lucidchart add-on, OR select Add-ons > Get add-ons within an open Doc, Sheet, or Slide and search for the Lucidchart listing.
- Click “Free” to install the add-on and authorize Lucidchart access to Google Docs/Sheets/Slides. Lucidchart asks for the following standard permissions:
Note: These permissions are used to show your Lucidchart diagrams in Google Docs/Sheets/Slides and to allow Google to update any inserted diagrams.
- Click “Accept.” The Lucidchart sidebar will appear on the right side of your document, displaying either a login screen or a list of your diagrams (if you're already logged in).
- If you're new to Lucidchart, click "Sign in with Google" to register for a Lucidchart account with the same Google account that's associated with your open Google Doc/Sheet/Slide.
If you'd like to sign into a different Lucidchart account at any time, click on your account name in the sidebar and choose "Sign out."
To create a new diagram, Click at the bottom right of the add-on sidebar and select a template from the dialog that pops up.
After you select a diagram type, the add-on will direct you to the Lucidchart editor. If you need help creating your diagram, you can browse through our Video Gallery.
To edit an existing Lucidchart diagram, hover over the thumbnail in the add-on sidebar and click OR click on the thumbnail and select "Edit" from the diagram preview.
The diagram will open in the Lucidchart editor.
When you finish creating or editing your diagram, click “Back to Docs,” “Back to Sheets," or "Back to Slides" in the top left corner of the editor.
Existing diagrams will be updated automatically, and any new diagrams will appear at the top of the add-on sidebar. If you do not see these changes, click to sync the add-on with your Lucidchart account.
To quickly insert the first page of a Lucidchart document into your Google application, hover over the thumbnail in the sidebar and click
If you want to insert a different page of the document, or preview your diagram before inserting it, click on the thumbnail to pull up a document preview.
Click on the arrows to scroll through the pages, and click "Insert" to insert a page into your Doc, Sheet, or Slide.
Your inserted image will appear where your cursor is located, and it will resize to fit the document's width.
After you insert diagrams into Google Docs/Sheets/Slides, you may want to make further changes. In Google Docs and Slides, update your diagrams so you see the most current, accurate version with just one click. Simply navigate to Add-ons > Lucidchart Diagrams > Update Inserted Diagrams.
Please allow 5-10 seconds for each image to update. After the images are updated, you’ll receive a list of the diagrams that were altered.
Note: Images may change size during this update to accommodate any edits made to the diagram.
If you are using the Google Sheets Add-on, you will not see the option to "Update Inserted Diagrams." To update your sheet to reflect your latest work in Lucidchart, you will have to delete the diagram from the sheet and re-insert it. Our development team is working to add the "update" feature to Sheets; stay tuned with this post to see when it is released.
Can I share my diagram directly from Google Docs/Sheets/Slides?
No, but you can access Lucidchart from Google Docs/Sheets/Slides and share your diagrams from there. Click your email address in the sidebar and choose “Manage Diagrams” to access all your Lucidchart documents and share.
Can I export my Lucidchart presentation to Google Slides?
Yes! Check out our Presentations article ("Presentation Mode" > Step #7) to learn how to export Lucidchart presentations to Google Slides.
Is it possible to connect any Lucidchart account to any Google account?
Yes! You can connect a Lucidchart account with a different email address than your Google account, and vice versa.
How will my diagram look in the Google Doc/Sheet/Slide?
Diagrams should look crisp and clear. They’ll automatically resize to fit the width of the page, and you may resize the image by dragging its corners.
What about multipage diagrams?
If your Lucidchart diagram contains more than one page, use the arrows to scroll through the pages and find the page you would like to insert into your document. You can only select and insert the contents of one page at a time.
Can I update inserted diagrams?
Yes—just click the Add-ons tab and select Lucidchart Diagrams > Update Inserted Diagrams. The images will change to reflect any changes you’ve made. Due to limitations in Google Docs/Sheets/Slides, this function only works for inline images (not images that break or wrap text). This function will no longer work if you modify the link of the inserted image. You must be the creator of the diagram or have the diagram shared with your Lucidchart account to update inserted diagrams with this process.
If I share my Google Doc/Sheet/Slide, does that mean I share my Lucidchart account?
No—when you use Lucidchart inside a Google Doc/Sheet/Slide, your Lucidchart account is only accessible to you. Other collaborators can also use the Lucidchart add-on, but they will need to set it up with their own accounts.
- Access recent Lucidchart documents via the side integrations panel in Gmail.
- Search and preview a document directly within the Gmail integrations tab and create a new email, attaching your diagram as a PDF or image.
- Manage document permissions from the integrations tab—but only if you are the document owner.
- Add a document via the Lucidchart attachment button from an email draft.
- Receive and view your Lucidchart notifications in Gmail, quickly and easily accessing the associated document.
- Create a new Lucidchart document.
- Search “Lucidchart” in the G Suite Marketplace.
- Select Lucidchart Diagrams for Gmail.
- Click Install.
- Follow the prompts in the modal to sign in to your account and provide Lucidchart with the necessary permissions. The add-on will be added to the sidebar of your Gmail account.